Mr. Robert Garrett is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a professional organization whose membership is limited to the top two percent of trial lawyers in any jurisdiction. He has almost 40 years of broad based trial and litigation experience. He has extensive trial experience, having tried a wide range of matters, including business disputes, shareholders, derivative claims, attorney malpractice claims, anti-trust, accountant's and auditor's liability cases, income tax, malicious prosecution, real property matters, insurance bad faith, escrow negligence, title insurance coverage, and escrow liability.
He has litigated hundreds of cases involving a wide variety of issues, including probate, family law, personal injury, construction defect, broker liability, real estate broker negligence, estate planning, trademark, and shareholder disputes. Mr. Garrett has successfully obtained judgments in favor of his clients by way of jury verdict and by motion for summary judgment on issues such as absence of duty, statute of limitations, and privilege.
Mr. Garrett has also handled appellate matters before the Courts of Appeal for the State of California and for the Ninth Circuit. Mr. Garrett has extensive experience with respect to title insurance coverage and compliance with obligations of good faith and fair dealing, and long experience advising title and escrow companies concerning appropriate claims and escrow practices and procedures.
Mr. Garrett has been engaged as an expert consultant and has qualified and testified as an expert witness at trial in matters involving real property and attorney malpractice.
Mr. Garrett also devotes countless hours toward youth-development and mentoring activities in the community.
Areas of Practice:
- Business Litigation
- Title Insurance (Litigation and Coverage)
- Real Estate Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Accountants' and Auditors' Liability
- Unfair Competition Litigation
- Escrow Negligence and Liability
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law (J.D., 1975)
- University of Southern California (B.A., Cum Laude 1972)
Publications & Presentations:
- "The Art of Negotiation"
- "Protection of Experts Against Compelled Disclosure of Research Data and
- "Scientific Research in the Courtroom"
- "Can You Protect the 'Research Expert?'"
- "Case Presentations Concerning Admissibility of Expert Testimony"
- "Avoiding Bad Faith"
- "Selecting and Engaging Appraisers"
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
(Founding Member, Title Insurance Round Table)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
(Litigation and Real Property Sections)
(Member, Steering Committee of the Title Insurance Sub-section)
- California Land Title Association
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
Mr. Garrett has been regularly selected as a "Super Lawyer" by his peers pursuant a voting procedure sponsored by Law & Politics and Los Angeles magazines.
Mr. Garrett has an AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell.