Sonia A. Plesset was born in France and immigrated to the United States in 1979. She was raised in a culturally- diverse and multi-lingual family that was not afraid to take chances to secure a better future. This experience shaped Ms. Plesset’s view of the world and provided invaluable lessons on the merits of tenacity and hard work.
Ms. Plesset graduated with honors from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1988 and obtained her Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School in 1991. While in law school, Ms. Plesset served as an extern for the Honorable Geraldine Mund, (who eventually became the Chief Judge) United States Bankruptcy Court Judge, for the Central District of California. This externship created a job opportunity that marked the beginning of a thirty-year career protecting and advancing the interests of financial institutions and private lenders.
During the course of her career, Ms. Plesset has successfully represented nationally- recognized lending institutions, servicers, investors and foreclosure trustees on both the Plaintiff and Defense side in a wide variety of cases in multiple forums. Ms. Plesset has resolved hundreds of cases through trial, summary adjudication, and informal revolution. Ms. Plesset is a firm believer that a “true victory” is one that makes both legal and business sense and works closely with her clients to achieve their goals. Additionally, Ms. Plesset recognizes that experience, while invaluable, is not a substitute for learning. As both a licensed attorney and real estate broker, Ms. Plesset continues to educate herself in the latest legal and practical developments affecting California real estate.
While not practicing law, Ms. Plesset enjoys reading, travel, and spending time with her family. She also volunteers her time at a California non-profit organization that assists the homeless in securing housing and employment.
Areas of Practice
- Lender liability defense, including HOBAR, RESPA, TILA, FRCA and PACE Lending.
- Judicial foreclosures, creditors’ remedies, including provisional remedies.
- Foreclosure trustee defense, surplus funds distribution liability defense.
- Post foreclosure evictions.
- Creditor Bankruptcy.
- Title curative.
- Lien priority disputes.
- Real Property and HOA law.
- All state courts of California.
- District Court of California, all districts.
- United States Bankruptcy Court of California, all districts.
- 9th Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
California Licensed Real Estate Broker BRE # 020453547
Participant, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Intensive Trial Skills Program, certified January 2017
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Legislation Alert: California Notary Requirements, January 2015 DS News.
- Keeping PACE with Clean Energy Finance Law, March 22, 2018, M Report.
- Past and Future of PACE, DS News, March 2018, DS News.
- Repeat presenter/ trainer for national mortgage lender at its headquarters on California judicial and nonjudicial foreclosures, and the California Homeowners’ Bill of Rights.
- Repeat guest lecturer USC Gould School of Law on topic of California Foreclosure Laws.
- Panelist, United Trustee Association, Spring 2019 Legislative Updates.
- CLE presenter, Judicial Foreclosures.
- CLE presenter, fundamentals and mechanics of PACE Lending.
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California. Juris Doctor, 1991.
- President Jewish Law Students.
- Assistant to International Law Professor.
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts, History, Cum Laude, 1988.
- Dean’s List.
- Golden Key Honors Society.
- Phi Alpha Theta Honors Society.
- California State Bar
- California Mortgage Bankers; Association.
- Mortgage Broker’s Association.
- Orange County Bar Association.
- UCLA Alumni and Parent Association.